Skip to this page's content

No Body is Perfect!

bodyimage1.pngHow many of us do not like the reflection we see of ourselves when we look in the mirror? Our culture is obsessed with physical appearance and beauty is very narrowly defined in our society as someone who is skinny. Mass media has formed our norms on what beauty should look like. These movies, actors, TV shows, and even dolls are EVERYWHERE!
So is "skinny" on a woman really beautiful? According to most statistics, only about 5% of the world actually looks like models and the rest of the 95% of people are unhappy with the way they look. All of media's messages are creations; they are not reflections of reality.

Many ways to increase your self-esteem and feel good about your body are:
• Disregard numbers. Weight or BMI don't tell us much about our health.
• Don't compare yourself to others. There is nothing you can do to change your body. (unless you want to do plastic surgery)
• And finally, broaden your perspective about health and beauty. People come in all shapes and sizes, and everyone has their own sense of beauty.

You are a beautiful person just the way you are. (Just listen to Bruno Mars' Just the Way You Are if you don't believe me). There are so many things more valuable than your physical appearance such as your qualities and talents as a human being.
Instead of trying to meet society's impossible standards of female beauty, prove to yourself how special you really are. Hang out with your friends, go to a movie, go to dinner, and enjoy life doing what you like to do. Get comfortable with the real you, inside and out, because you have to spend your whole life with yourself so you better love yourself, or it's going to be one rocky ride.

By Neha Shah
Sophomore, Commuter student

By Neha Shah on March 30, 2012 9:00 AM
Category: Students Bloggers
Topics: body image, health