Student Snippets

A WINDOW INTO THE DAILY LIFE AND THOUGHTS OF SLIS STUDENTS

Advising -- Should I Take An Internship Course

One thing I was extremely surprised to note when I started my program online at Simmons was just how approachable the professors were--they responded quickly to any of my requests to speak with them, and were very open to talking on the phone with me about any questions I might have. Recently, I was required to turn in my tentative planning statement for my program of study, but I wanted to talk with adviser to make sure that the schedule I was picking was feasible given the planned courses for the next year and a half, and would be a viable match for my future career interests. She happily set up a time to talk later in the week, and I had a really productive conversation with her about required courses, and whether an internship would be beneficial to me.

Because I have a lot of library experience, it never occurred to me that an internship for course credit was not something I should do while I am in school. I already volunteer at several library and local historical organizations, so why should I take a class to facilitate these already existing relationships? This was when I realized that a formal internship would allow me to develop a portfolio of my work, and create a more official partnership with these organizations, emphasizing completing a finished product instead of assisting them in their usual work. While the latter is also valuable, being able to say that I gave the institution a final product which they can use is an immensely important learning experience that benefits me and the institution I am assisting. Since I am not based out of a large city, this provides especially crucial professional documents and assistance to local organizations who may be unable to pay for such consultation normally. Thanks to a conversation with my adviser, I was able to totally change my view. Now, I'm excited and brainstorming potential projects that can benefit me, and help local organizations as well!

Classes | Internships | Online | SLIS | Students