SOM Blog

Recently in Student Experience

Going Outside the Classroom: Alumni Panels Inspire Creativity and Connections

When I told my family that I was planning on pursuing an MBA, I received a lot of support.  When I explained that I was planning to pursue entrepreneurship as my focus, however, I received some pushback. One person in particular tried to convince me that pursuing an MBA to go into entrepreneurship is essentially a waste of money. His argument was that he, and almost everyone else in my family, had started successful businesses simply by following an idea and watching it grow.

Student Experience

Simmons College Undergraduate Management Students are selected to participate in the 2014-2015 New Horizon's College Mentoring Program with the Network of Executive Women's New England Regional Chapter

Mentorship Group.jpgCongratulations to the Simmons College Undergraduate Management students Alexandra McConaghy, Charlotte Crosby, Kaitlyn DiPietro, and Norma Tentori, who have been selected to participate in the 2014-2015 New Horizons' College Mentoring Program with the Network of Executive Women's New England Regional Chapter! The experience promises to enhance students' perspectives on the CPG (Consumer, Product, Goods) and Retail Industry as well as build leadership and networking skills.

For more information about the Network of Executive Women, please visit the website at http://www.newonline.org/.

Photo: From left to right, Kaitlyn DiPietro, Alexandra McConaghy, Charlotte Crosby, and Norma Tentori.

Student Experience

Is the Part-Time to Full-Time track right for you?

While the Simmons School of Management has both full-time and part-time tracks for earning the MBA, there is a third option to help students transition from pre-MBA life to the full time program: the part-time to full-time track! Not sure if you're ready to take on a full-time MBA program, but want to graduate sooner than later? Maybe the part-to-full time track is right for you. As a part-to-full timer, I'm happy to share my experiences!

Student Experience

The Case for Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone in the Summer!

After completing my first semester with my most of my cohort, I was unsure about stepping out of that group to take an elective this summer. Being that I have yet to take the Negotiations course, I had yet to acquire the skills to convince others to join me in the summer elective I found most relevant to my goals and interests. Once I was able to login to the class website, I saw NO familiar names and thought the worst: the fear of having to introduce yourself to another group of strangers is the stuff on sleepless nights--ice breakers can be the worst! Would I be the last kid picked for the team? But then I remembered that I'm at the Simmons School of Management and nothing here is ever that bad! After the first day of class, I was right-- it wasn't bad at all! Plus, venturing out of your original cohort (and your comfort zone) offers opportunities for growth and a fresh start.

Student Experience

Behind the Scenes at the Simmons Leadership Conference

On Wednesday April 23rd Simmons hosted its 35th Annual Simmons Leadership Conference. The conference hosted a number of inspirational speakers, including Entertainer Rita Moreno, Biological Anthropologist Dr. Helen Fischer, Journalist Rana Foroohar, Astronaut Mae Jemison and Humanitarian Activist Zainab Salbi, to name a few.

Student Experience

A LOOK BACK AT MY FIRST SEMESTER IN B-SCHOOL

As much as I can't believe I've finished my first semester of the Simmons MBA program, the past fifteen weeks have been a long list of accomplishments! I've survived (and thrived) through the application process, my first midterms, case analyses, projects, and FINALS! It was a steep learning curve, but Simmons was there to help every step of the way.

Student Experience

Need homework help? There's a Tutor for That!

When I saw that my first semester of business school included "Financial Reporting and Analysis," a required course for the MBA program, I was a bit concerned about how challenging it would be. Having earned my degree in comparative literature (years ago), it's been a while since I've taken a math-related course, and honestly, numbers isn't my strongest suit. Needless to say, I was a little worried. I know I'm not alone in this respect. Even my classmates who have worked with accounts in their jobs aren't completely comfortable with the some of the accounting ideas we go over in class. Luckily for us though, as Simmons students we're able to seek the assistance of Simmons Tutorial Services! 

Student Experience

Being on Hold

After I graduated with my undergraduate degree I was excited to be out in the "real world," but I always knew, in the back of my mind, that I would be going back for further education at some point.  I planned to work for a couple years, and then go back to school in my mid-twenties, when I had a better understanding of what I really wanted to get out of my graduate degree. I didn't expect that process to take 7 years.  

Student Experience

The "Why Simmons?" Series: Part 2

A few weeks ago, I wrote part 1 of a series on why I chose to come to Simmons to get my MBA, and described the special community that exists here.  And now I'm back for part 2!  

You might already know that Simmons is ranked the #1 MBA for women by the Princeton Review.  Just this February, Noodle.org named Simmons one of the "Great MBA Program Options for Women" (take a peek here).  I love how these rankings help to capture and communicate what makes up that Simmons....well, special sauce.  But have you ever wondered what it really means for an MBA program to be a great opportunity for women, what that looks and feels like day-to-day?  Well, read on for my perspective as a student!

Student Experience

Dinner with the President!

As a smaller college, Simmons is able to create an intimate and personalized experience that is catered to each student's needs. I think most of my classmates would agree that our classes have the right amount of students to diversify and enrich discussions without feeling overwhelmed or overlooked.

Student Experience

Learning Opportunities Outside of the Classroom

One great perk of academic life is access to speakers and events that can expand your own perspective and provide an opportunity to network with others. Simmons is especially great for providing these opportunities in both formal and informal settings. In the short time I've been at Simmons, I've attended a key note, lunch session, happy hour, and reception, just to name a few.

Student Experience

The "Why Simmons?" Series: Part 1

As a graduate assistant for the admissions team here at the School of Management, I speak with a lot of prospective students.  One of the questions I get asked most often is "why did you choose Simmons?" My next few blog posts will address this important question, so read on and stay tuned! I hope it helps you decide if Simmons is the right place for you.

Student Experience

Homework Time? A Balancing Act

I have gotten several questions on how much home work we have to do in the Healthcare MBA program. It is a very important consideration when weighing the undertaking of such a rigorous program.

The question of how much homework we have per week depends on several factors. I believe the canned response is that for every hour that you are in class you should expect to spend two hours preparing. In actuality, the answer depends a lot on you. I have found that a major contributing factor in homework time is your previous knowledge on the topic of the class. Example, if you have taken an accounting class during undergrad you may not need to spend as much time as your classmates on your accounting homework. Another factor is the type of class. This is true for the subject matter (quantitative versus qualitative) as well as the class format (blended versus totally in person). 

Another factor to take into consideration is the amount of time that you have been out of school... I know personally that there was a definite learning curve. It took me a while to get back into the swing of doing school work. I had to relearn study habits and find a new groove now that I have both a full time job and family life to balance. What worked best for me and what I would highly recommend is to carve out a set time for your school work. Some people work better in small bursts throughout the week. Others find it helpful to have a whole day dedicated to schoolwork. Again, it depends on personal preference as well as your school-work-life balance, but in the end it is important that you find what works best for you.     

Student Experience

Service Learning in an MBA class

When I graduated from college ten years ago, I thought my service learning days were over.  It never occurred to me that I would have the opportunity to bridge classroom learning and community engagement in an MBA program, but Simmons School of Management is full of these sort of pleasant surprises. 

Student Experience

Study Groups: A Key to Surviving Grad School

During my first semester as a full-time MBA student last fall, it took me just a few short weeks to realize that study groups were going to be my key to survival.  Many of your professors will tell you this - they often comment that if they notice a student is struggling in their class, the first question they'll ask is "are you working with a study group?" I'm here to tell you: listen to those professors.  They know a thing or two!

Student Experience

Getting your MBA: Part-time or full-time?

When I started the MBA program at Simmons, I was a part-time student.  Then, last fall I transitioned to the full-time program.  And now, this fall I'm transitioning back to part-time to finish the program.  Having experienced both options, I feel I am uniquely qualified to help prospective students think through what might be best for them.  Read on for my top 5 things to consider before choosing a part-time or full-time schedule!

Student Experience

Preparing your spring application? Tips from someone who has been in this exact situation, IT IS POSSIBLE!

For many prospective students thinking about applying for the Simmons School of Management Spring 2014 start, there is a question of just how feasible it would be. With the month of October coming to an end and the deadline of December first not too far in the distance, the window of opportunity is growing smaller and smaller as each day passes. From someone who has been in this exact situation, IT IS POSSIBLE!

Student Experience

Inside the Simmons SOM Career Expo

The SOM hosted its annual Career Expo on October 24, 2013. Several top Boston employers attended, many of whom had current job openings or positions in the pipeline for May graduating students.

Student Experience

Prepping for the GMAT? Tips from the Student Experience Blog

Standardized testing may be the bane of any student's existence, but it's a necessary "evil" to further along your studies, and subsequently further along your career. And the GMATs are no exception. Preparation is key to your success for this three and a half hour-long exam that tests you on your analytical writing, integrated reasoning, quantitative, and verbal skills.

Student Experience

What Does Simmons Mean to You?

October is synonymous with many things: the start of fall and cooler weather, the end of baseball and start of football, Breast Cancer Awareness month, etc... and, as I recently found out, it is also the month when Simmons College founder, John Simmons, was born (October 30, 1796).

Student Experience

Grad School Advice: Class Participation and Why It's Important

Upon receiving a professor's syllabus, the first thing that I check is How much is Class Participation worth? The obligatory grade is typically around 20%! Meaning, if you don't speak up and get your voice in the discussion, you could lose out on a fifth of your grade.

Student Experience

Balancing a Full-time Job and Internship

When I elected to go back to school a year and half ago for my Master's in Communications Management, I knew I wanted to re-vamp my skills; however, I also realized that I needed new work experience as well.

Student Experience

Grad-School Advice: Time Management

I thought it would be helpful to give incoming students some weekly advice about business school. This week, I wanted to focus on time management. It's an important skill to learn regardless if you are in graduate school or not.

Student Experience

Tips for Writing Your First Graduate Paper

When I stepped into my first graduate class at Simmons School of Management, I did not know what to expect. My undergraduate days seemed far in the distance at that point, and I felt that I was walking in to it blindfolded.

Student Experience

Back To School - A Quick Guide to Get New Students Prepped for the Start of Classes

I thought it would be helpful for a current student (ME!), to give incoming students (YOU!) some tips for the start of classes. Because let's face it, most of us have been out of school for a few years, and its an adjustment to start a new program and get back in the swing of things. But have no fear, a current SOM student is here (to give you a heads up on things)!

Student Experience

Leadership and Mindfulness Through Yoga

I have to preface this post by saying I am not a yogi by any means (but I own yoga pants, go figure). I tried going to a few classes when I was working full-time, but never really got into it. So when the SOM offered a free pilot yoga program, I jumped at the opportunity to try it again.

Student Experience

Summer Courses in Communications Management

The decision to take a summer course is not always an easy one for students. What really motivated me: the opportunity to take a summer course with Virginia Healy-Tangney in the Communications Management program. Classmates that took her course could not stop raving about Professor Healy-Tangney.

Student Experience

Just Ask - Negotiations and Conflict Management

As part of the Simmons MBA program, I recently completed the Negotiation and Conflict Management (GSM 470) class taught by Dr. Paula Gutlove. We learned that women tend to have difficulty asking for something, especially if that something is for themselves. Whether it is asking for a pay increase, asking for help, or asking for a simple introduction to a colleague, we have a difficult time asking. However, by not asking, we leave something on the negotiating table.

Student Experience

The Simmons Experience is More Than Just Classes

When starting graduate school, one may never think about the opportunities it has to offer past the pages of reading and numerous papers that need to be written. Some graduate students may only have time to complete their course work and earn a degree. If you have time to explore outside of the classroom, there are a lot of great learning opportunities on the Simmons campus.

Student Experience

A Message to Graduating Students

Graduation is an important time to reflect on our experience here at Simmons. For those who are graduating, you are about to embark on a new exciting chapter in your life. You have challenged yourself academically, pushed yourself in many ways, developed your leadership skills, and now is your time to soar to new heights.

Student Experience

"Girl Rising"

On Friday, April 26, 2013 the Simmons College and Simmons School of Management hosted a movie screening of "Girl Rising," a film about 9 girls from 9 different countries who all have something in common, they all have incredible inner strength and are determined to make change by pursuing their education.

Student Experience

MBA Oath

One of the most impressive aspects of the Simmons MBA program is its focus on principled leadership. It's woven throughout our curriculum, embodied by our faculty and now, as students, we have the opportunity to take our dedication to principled leadership the next level.

Our Net Impact chapter recently introduced the MBA Oath, a new initiative here at the SOM that allows graduating students to pledge their commitment to "create value responsibly and ethically" throughout their careers.

Here at Simmons, the initiative is led by Bonita Yip, a colleague of mine in the full-time program. Bonita writes, "For those that aren't familiar with the MBA Oath, it was started by two Harvard MBA students as a response to the 2009 recession. All MBA programs came under fire for not upholding ethical business principles, which resulted in the financial crisis. By pledging to the oath, which is aligned with our Simmons principled leadership curriculum, it promotes ethical decision making in the normal course of business."

Student Experience

UAE Travel Course Promotes Globally Inclusive Leadership

Students say Experience was Transformative

Professor Lynda Moore, accompanied by Professor Deborah Marlino, took 16 MBA students to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for nine days in March. The study-travel course focused on a cross-cultural comparative analysis of Emirati women business leaders.

"I am sure this course is unique among MBA programs in the world as it reflects our mission to educate women for power and principled leadership with a global, cross-cultural, and sustainable view," said Professor Moore. "It was a transformative experience for the students and broadened their perspectives about leadership, the Middle East and the UAE in particular, and developed in them a more nuanced and culturally sensitive view of women leaders."

Student Experience

Finding your Forté

Ever wondered if there was someone out there who could answer all of your questions about business school the moment they popped into your head?

If this sounds like something you'd like, then you must check out the Forté Foundation. It's a fabulous resource for women in business, whether you're hunting for the perfect school for you, searching for a summer internship, or about to graduate and looking for some advice on how to find a mentor. Forté played a huge role in my decision to go to business school and now, almost a year into my program, I still find myself tuning into webinars (our very own Stacy Blake-Beard moderated one just last month!), checking the blogs, and waiting for the newsletter to pop up in my inbox.

Student Experience

The Life of a Dual-Degree Candidate

When I tell my friends that I am pursuing two Masters degrees at the same time, they often think I'm crazy. Pursuing one Masters degree is challenging enough never mind two. As a dual degree candidate at Simmons Gender/Cultural Studies (GCS) and Communication Management (MCM) Programs I have learned a great deal, most of how to balance my workload and ensure that I stay same when finals time come around.

Student Experience

Eight months down, eight to go!

Earning an MBA in sixteen months is no mean feat. Deadlines for projects and papers come and go quickly, and before you know it one semester is winding down while another is about to begin.  In the fast-paced environment of the full-time program, weeks and months pass in the blink of an eye.  I was recently surprised to find myself nearing the halfway point of my time in the SOM. Is it really almost May? An id the answer is yes (I'm afraid it is), how does my experience compare to the expectations I had when I stepped foot on campus in September?

Student Experience

Simmons entrepreneur starts nonprofit to educate disabled children in Africa

Non-profit management and entrepreneurship MBA student Obiageli Ukadike recognized a serious education gap in Ghana, Africa. People with physical disabilities are often shunned from mainstream society and denied access to quality education.

obi.jpg

To combat this injustice, Oby co-founded The WaWa Project, a non-profit organization aimed at providing education to physically disabled children in Ghana. The WaWa Project plans to raise approximately $2.5 million over the next five years to build a handicap accessible secondary school for children grades six through twelve. The non-profit will build the school, hire local staff and administrators and create education plans to teach students skills they can use post graduation. Oby is ecstatic about the attention her cause has received.

Student Experience

School of Management supports women entrepreneurs with Silverman Business Plan Competition

UPDATE: Obiageli with The WaWa Project wins the 2011 Silverman Business Plan Competition and $10,000 for her non profit. Congratulations!

Entrepreneurship is a vital part of our economy and is a direct path to leadership. The American Express OPEN State of Women-Owned Businesses reported that between 1997 and 2011, the number of businesses in the U.S. increased by 34%, but the number of women-owned firms increased by 50%.

1074533707_3rgoq-L-1.jpg
Finalists from the 2010 Silverman Business Plan Competition

There is no argument that starting a business is challenging, especially with limited access to monetary and supportive resources. Simmons recognizes the barriers facing many entrepreneurs and has created a program that aims to foster their innovative ideas.

Student Experience

Home | Archives